EQUINIX – BUSINESS ACCELERATION
Equinix is a global colocation provider with data centers in 31 markets across 15 countries in the Americas, EMEA, and Asia-Pacific. Their mission is to protect, connect and power the digital economy to ensure the vitality of an ever-growing, information-driven world.
Equinix was introduced to CMI in the middle of a major update to their “order to cash” business processes and a move off Oracle ERP to a new suite of apps, including Siebel, Tibco, and Oracle OBIEE. Equinix asked CMI to develop a physical architecture for their logical application architecture. Equinix’ new architecture needed to be scalable, flexible and high performing to grow with the company, easily add new workloads, and respond on demand to changing capacity requirements. Given large data growth, Equinix wanted to optimize their current storage environment (EMC) and make it easier to implement and manage in the future.
CMI took inventory of the existing architecture – applications, servers, storage, network – to better understand their standards and skillset. We took the logical architecture sizing information and used it to map the logical to physical requirements. We weighed various alternatives – e.g., Power vs. Intel, traditional disk vs. Flash-based arrays, etc. and developed TCO cases to determine the best direction for their compute, storage, and enterprise licensing options.
Equinix pursued all three CMI recommendations:
(7) IBM Power p750 servers
- Upgrades to existing p750s for reuse and cost savings
- Delivers maximum performance, reliability, scalability and flexibility with lowest 3-year TCO
- Decreases server count to reduce Oracle license and maintenance costs IBM SAN Volume Controller (SVC)
- Controls the existing storage subsystems and allows for virtualization, ease of implementation and management going forward Flash Memory SSD Memory Arrays
- Supports the new data needs for the rollout – approx. 120TB
- Improves performance 50-80% over traditional disk systems to reduce I/O constraints
- Lowers overall TCO – fewer servers/storage needed as a result of the performance gain
Equinix, with CMI’s assistance, rolled out the new infrastructure and has been delighted with the performance, reliability, flexibility, ease-of-management and overall value of the entire solution CMI delivered. Their team was able to get trained quickly on the new platform, and they have utter confidence in their ability to manage and scale the solution as the business requires.
All In The Numbers
Application performance is governed from multiple sources; among which are compute and I/O response. Equinix and CMI discovered that performance was going to be enhanced more by I/O than compute. We delivered a design that maximized I/O responsiveness, normalized compute overhead, increased performance, and contained acquisition and operational expenses. Some of the savings include:
- Improved performance of databases by 60-80%
- Reduced Oracle licensing and maintenance costs by 25%
- Reduced hardware costs by 23%
- Simplified ongoing storage provisioning and management Measurable results – all in the numbers.
CMI leverages over 40+ years of experience, serving as an extension of client teams while helping them achieve competitive advantage through technology and innovation. We offer systems and storage infrastructure, software, cloud enablement, consulting and Professional services in the relentless pursuit of IT optimization.