Meet CMI’s new ACT Tool. Director of Cloud Services, Vanessa Nudd, provides answers in this Q & A blog.
Q & A: CMI’s New ACT Tool
How can the ACT Tool benefit my company in managing our AWS cloud services?
- CMI’s ACT Tool allows you to consolidate your AWS accounts across the organization into one simplified view for better visibility and control. Using ACT, you can view your company’s aggregate cloud usage, and drill down for granular visibility by department, accounts, product, resource IDs (tags), cost centers, etc. ACT also performs analytics on your billing data and makes RI (Reserved Instance) recommendations to save money. We’re often able to find 20-30% savings for our clients. Lastly, the tool enables you to set up account provisioning workflows for improved governance and control.
- ACT collects full billing history and performs thorough analytics to make Reserved Instance (RI) recommendations. AWS often only exposes ‘heavy’ RI recommendations through their RI tool. ACT will also make recommendations for medium and light RIs, giving you the ability to customize to best suit your company’s needs. We will proactively schedule a session with you 30-60 days after getting you set up in ACT to review your usage data and review the cost optimization recommendations.
Can you provide examples of a business that save money using the ACT Tool?
- Yes! We have countless examples of where we’ve saved customers 20-30% off of their monthly bill. Sometimes the savings are simply found using ACT’s RI cost optimizer tool. But often we also find areas where our clients can improve their AWS architecture. For example, we’ll often recommend a different instance type based on what you’re trying to accomplish, or establish a framework for shutting down resource that’s not in use.
How long does it take to get setup in ACT?
- About 15 minutes! We would set up a call to collect some information (AWS account ID, contact info, etc) and then you’ll receive an email from AWS requesting authorization to link the accounts. We then set an ARN role for CMI to be given read-only access to your billing data. We give you credentials to log-in to your portal directly from CMI’s website and with 1-2 days you’ll start seeing your data flow there!
How does invoicing work going forward?
- Once you approve the link request, CMI becomes the new master payer to AWS on your behalf. We will invoice you once a month, in arrears, and we will pay AWS.
How much does the tool cost?
- It’s Free! Our hope is you’ll get value out of the ACT tool, and think of CMI for any AWS related architecture projects you have in the future. We have a team of architects standing by to help, and want to become your trusted partner on your cloud journey. Click here to try the ACT tool and see if it can help you manage your expenditures more efficiently.
Director, Regional Manager