What is Acropolis?
Acropolis: managing your virtual machines and critical workloads
You have read about it at length online, in the media, and in our blog posts: data centers are going software defined and hyper converged to optimize and simply environments. One method to simplify and save time for IT management is through using an integrated solution where hardware and an abstraction/virtualization layer comes right out of the box. Feel free to check out my previous blog post, Nutanix Data Center Revolution, for a high-level refresher on Nutanix’s goal for invisible infrastructure.
In this blog I’d like to hone in on Nutanix’s Acropolis, an industry-leading solution and cost effective hypervisor to manage virtual machines and workloads. Let’s look at how Acropolis can help your enterprise. Acropolis works to simplify your abstraction and virtualization needs as your Nutanix’s integrated hypervisor for VM placement, scheduling, conversion, migration, high availability and DR.
How Does Acropolis work?
Acropolis is a distributed multi-resource manager, orchestration platform and data plane. It has three main components: distributed storage fabric, app mobility fabric, hypervisor.
- Distributed Storage Fabric (DSF) – Expands upon the original secret sauce of the Nutanix platform, the Nutanix Distributed Filesystem (NDFS). NDFS has evolved from the original distributed system pooling of storage resources into a much larger and capable distributed storage fabric.
- App Mobility Fabric (AMF) – Hypervisors abstracted the OS from hardware, and the AMF abstracts workloads (VMs, Storage, Containers, etc.) from the hypervisor. AMF helps provide the ability to dynamically move the workloads between hypervisors, clouds, as well as provide the ability for Nutanix nodes to change hypervisors.
- Hypervisor – multi-purpose hypervisor, Nutanix flavor of CentOS KVM hypervisor. Many now call it a “cloud hypervisor”.
Real life problems Acropolis on Nutanix can solve:
- Single pane of glass for deployment, optimization and operations of advanced IT infrastructure
- Run any enterprise application out-of-the-box in 60 minutes or less
- Eliminate the need for standalone SAN or NAS-based storage
- Reduce the complexity of legacy virtualization management, while lowering virtualization costs by up to 80%
- Option for Nutanix Cloud Automation Service from Nutanix Consulting delivers policy-based self-service provisioning and orchestration of common VM-centric workflows
- Lower the hard-dollar, labor and process costs of managing VMs and setting automation for HA
- Automate Server Management operations like being able to have rolling software updates while the application runs live do to replication built in.
- Reduce power consumption costs.
With Nutanix, you can still use traditional hypervisors. If you want to improve VM management efficiency, reduce time to respond, and reduce cost and complexity, while enhancing visibility into your overall environment, Acropolis with Nutanix is the ideal solution for you. Acropolis is a positive game changer. Call CMI to get into the game.
CMI – Your Adaptable Data Center Company